Quick Search:
Monday, February 19, 2018

For Artists

Self-Employment Benefits for Artists: In 2009, the federal government passed the Fairness for the Self-Employed Act. The legislation extends Employment Insurance special benefits (including maternity, parental, sickness and compassionate care benefits). Service Canada offers good information on eligibility requirements and how you can apply.  Or, if you are not sure if this new program would apply to you, CHRC developed a document that outlines the impact of the new Act on artists and cultural workers.

Saskatchewan Pension Plan: The Saskatchewan Pension Plan is great for artists who are self-employed or have multiple employers to begin saving for their future.  Not only can anyone contribute to your account but you can make contributions whenever you are able, meaning there are no obligations to make yearly contributions.

The Cultural Human Resources Council (CHRC): CHRC is a great resources that provides a wealth of information on training and career development for artists. Of particular interest is The Art of Managing Your Career.  This resource guide has great advice for self-employed artists and cultural workers, including legal tips, financial tips, how to establish a career path, tips on promotion and the 4-1-1 on project management.  A must read for emerging artists or the more established artist looking for some new tips.

Business Registration: Most professional artists operate as businesses.  Incorporating your business allows for holding title to real property and entering into contracts. There may also be tax advantages to incorporating, but check with your accountant or seek other professional advice to determine what is best for your situation.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA): The CRA website has information relevant to artists. You can find out about making tax installment payments and the Goods and Services Tax (GST). You can also find the following Interpretation Bulletins which contain essential information for filing income tax returns:

  1. Canada Council Grants
  2. Performing Artists
  3. Visual Artists and Writers
  4. Work space in home expenses
  5. Motor vehicle expenses claimed by self-employed individuals

For Engagers

Sport, Culture and Recreation Districts: There are nine Sport, Culture and Recreation Districts in Saskatchewan.  Districts can help you access information regarding sport, culture and recreation programs and services.  A great connection to make at the local level!

Event Planning: SaskCulture offers two great resources for event planners:

SaskEvents: If you are hosting a festival or event don't forget to register on SaskEvents.


This portal is an evolving site. If you have a link, see a problem/broken link or a suggestion please contact us at: gerry.folk@gov.sk.ca.  

Related Links

A list of resources for artists and engagers looking for information on contracting

© 2018 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.